The former church was the seat of the homonymous confraternity, derived from the original movement of the Disciplinati, already documented in 1367 and in 1642 with the Bull of Urban VIII, aggregated to the other company of San Giovanni Decollato in Rome. This confraternity was responsible for assisting those condemned to death who were then buried in the church, as evidenced by the remains found here. Capital executions were carried out in the small square in front of the Cathedral and the Episcopal Palace, after the condemned had spent their final days in the nearby court prisons located in Via Inferior (now Via del Popolo). On the side facing Via Sant’Andrea, there are a cusped niche and a five-pointed star visible.
Inside, there are two interesting frescoes attributable to the Bottega del Signorelli. Some identify this building as the place of Signorelli’s workshop and then the place where the young Raphael, during his stay in the city, painted the banner of the Holy Trinity, now in the local Pinacoteca, and the Marriage of the Virgin, which after various vicissitudes arrived in Milan at the Pinacoteca di Brera.
Once at the museum, download the RIM Altotevere App and frame the QR codes placed along the route to access exclusive content.