The museum is housed in the fourteenth-century church of Santa Croce in Piazza S. Francesco. The flagship work is the altarpiece of the “Deposition” on the high altar, painted by Luca Signorelli in 1516 on commission from the confraternity of Santa Croce. It is the only one of the many works on wood by the Cortonese master to still be found on its original site. The same feature, somewhat unusual for a museum, also occurs for the paintings placed on the side altars.
Of great importance in the museum are other works from the nearby church of San Francesco, including a canvas by Niccolò Circignani known as Pomarancio, depicting the “Madonna with Child in Glory”. The museum also has an interesting archaeological section: ceramic materials from the protohistoric age to the Hellenistic and Roman periods, coins dating back to the 4th-5th century AD. coming from a settlement on Monte Acuto and a votive deposit with Italic-type bronzes of the schematic kind with human and animal figures, (6th-5th century BC).
Once at the museum, download the RIM Altotevere App and frame the QR codes placed along the route to access exclusive content.